KWAN BOW | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle

JUST ANOTHER LOVER OF BEAUTY, FASHION, AND LIFESTYLE ❤

Instagram

Saturday 2 May 2015

My Top 5 MAC Lipsticks and Lip Pencils

MAC Lipstick
 If anyone knows me, I am MAC obsessed and I love most of their product lines and their collections. I have tried the majority of their make-up and skincare products, narrowing down which colours/formulas work best for my skin tone and skin type. MAC lipsticks are generally what I wear, and I am guilty/known for having up to 6 MAC lipsticks in my handbag/the make-up bag I carry with me. But, I am NOT sorry for carrying as many as I do and owning a large collection of MAC lipstick (over 30+ of these little bullets...) - I LOVE having a choice and I rotate my MAC lipsticks on a regular basis. It was hard to narrow down my MAC lipstick collection to my 5 favourite but, at the moment, these are my top 5 go-to MAC lipsticks - It may different in a few months time. 
MAC Lipstick
(Not the greatest lighting - the sun was setting!) L-R: Ruby Woo, Faux, Angel, Creme Cup, Honey-love
MAC Lipsticks (£15.50) (clickable link)
MAC lipsticks have gone up in price when I first started collecting them, but I don't mind paying the price because I do enjoy the vanilla-scent of the lipsticks, how well-formulated they are, and the different textures they come in. Especially with the Back2MAC programme, (return 6 empty MAC products and receive a FREE lipstick), I have received a lot of my lipsticks through this. Below are my current top 5 MAC lipsticks, but probably will change by Autumn/Winter time.
MAC Ruby Woo (Matte)
I don't wear red a lot but I like to choose this colour when I want an easy, clean bright lip. I love pairing this colour with MAC Smolder eyeliner pencil to create an ombre effect. MAC Ruby Woo is a classic Marilyn Monroe shade that is a clean blue-based red, which makes your teeth look whiter, which of course, is a bonus. MAC matte lipsticks aren't my favourite formula because they can be quite dry but I always apply a  good layer of lip-balm beforehand (I like good ol' vaseline or Bobbi Brown's lip balm). 
MAC Faux (Satin)
Known as the 'Kylie Jenner' lipstick shade (along with Velvet Teddy), MAC Faux is that perfect warm toned nude that doesn't make you look washed out. I had owned this before the crazy Kylie Jenner craze, but it is truly a lovely shade for all skin tones. It's a pinky-brown colour so looks like a natural colour of 'lips' but enhanced with a lovely satin finish. 
MAC Angel (Frost)
This is generally my everyday lipstick (the 2nd one I own), and I mix it with paler/nude lipsticks to tone down the pink slightly. MAC Angel is a yellow-based, light-medium pink shade with slightly frosty shimmer to it, but certainly not glittery. I pair this with MAC Myth and MAC Hue (I love mixing lipsticks together and creating my own little shades). 
MAC Creme Cup (Cremesheen)
Like MAC Angel lipstick, this is the 2nd MAC Creme Cup I have own. The colour is similar to Angel, being a light-medium pink but has a slightly more blue-based tone to it. Again, this is one of my everyday lipsticks and I like to mix it with other nude lipsticks to tone down the pink. It's a lovely shade for the Spring/Summer when wearing light outfits, so MAC Creme Cup will more than likely be a forever favourite. Plus, it's a cremesheen formula which is one of my favourites because it's hydrating, and looks glossy without added lipgloss. 
MAC Honey-love (Matte)
Unlike the others, I haven't owned this shade for very long. Probably only in the last couple of months, this has become one my favourite nudes. MAC Myth used to be my ALL-TIME favourite nude (I think I owned about 4 of these), but overtime, found that it was just a bit too light for my skin tone. Honey-love is a beautiful rosey-beige with a matte finish formula. If I'm doing a dark smokey eye, then I'll probably go for this shade to balance out my look with a nude lipgloss (Either MAC Dazzle Glass Moth to Flame or Revlon Peach Bellini). 
MAC Lip Pencils (£12.50) (clickable link)
MAC lip pencils are certainly not the cheapest on the market, but not the most expensive. But they are of good quality, creamy and non-drying on the lips. They don't tug when applying on the lips and sharpen well, without breaking (I hate when lip liner / eyeliner nibs break when being sharpened). Below are my top 5 staple lip liner colours in my collection. 
MAC Nightmoth
A dark matte purple-black which I often use to do a ombre lip (with MAC Ruby Woo), or outlining darker lipsticks during the Autumn/Winter time (such as MAC Rebel or MAC Cyber). If you're wearing a dark lip, I think it's important to line your lips and fill your lips in with the lip liner beforehand, so your lipstick will last longer and look cleaner/neater.
MAC Stripdown
A good staple to have for any make-up lover. I use MAC Stripdown to contour/make shadows on my lips slightly to give the illusion of fuller and bigger lips. This can be achieved by lining your cupids bow and the lowest point of your bottom lip. This takes practise, but when mastered, it's an instant lip boost when paired with nude lipsticks. 
MAC Spice
Again, MAC Spice is a good staple to contour your lips slightly as it can resemble a similar shade to your lip colour and you can make them slightly fuller when you're wearing a lighter shade of lipstick. Some people like to go heavy and outline their lips with a dark nude/pink lip liner and pair it with a light pinky/nude lipstick, and I think it looks quite nice on some people. MAC Spice is one of those colours that works well, in this instance. 
MAC Whirl
The 'Kylie Jenner' lip liner (along with Soar), that both sold out for months because of her crazy lip trend. It's a dirty rose shade (slightly lighter
 than Spice) that I like to pair with my darker nude lipsticks (Velvet Teddy, Faux, Brave). The colour itself is beautiful to line and fill in your lips, so I sometimes do that when I don't feel like wearing a lipstick.
MAC Boldly Bare
One of the newest lip liners I've purchased because I didn't really have a light pink lip liner to go with my pink lipsticks. This is a soft light pink shade and blends lovely into pink/nude lipsticks (I like it with Hue, Angel and Creme cup) and I wear this on a daily basis for work. I feel this shade is one of their best pink shades in their range to go with many of their light pink lipsticks, so definitely consider this as a purchase if you live nude/pink lipsticks.
MAC Lip Pencil
(Apologies for the blurriness, still getting used to the new camera settings)
 L-R Nightmoth, Stripdown, Spice, Whirl, Boldly Bare.
So that is a round up of my top 5 MAC lipsticks and lip liners - it was a hard choice but these are probably the ones I reach for the most. I do plan on doing a full overview/swatch of my entire lipstick and lip liner collection in separate blog posts, so please keep an eye out. 
What are your favourite MAC lipsticks or which MAC lipsticks have you got your eye on? 
Let me know in the comments below, I love trying out new colours!
your photo name

1 comment

  1. I love mac to! Great post and gorgeus colours x I carry around loads of them in my handbag as well! My favorites are Twig and Velvet Teddy :) If its no bother, check my blog - perksofmoll.blogspot.co.uk xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Positive vibes only ;-)